Wednesday 9 March 2011

Pancake Day! Surviving it With Cinnamon Apple


So, Pancake Day happened. Pancakes are traditionally slathered in syrup or sprinkled with sugar which, I gather, is bad for you. This is the exact sort of stuff to be avoided when you're trying to kill your gut, but I looked it up and pancakes aren't inherently bad for you. You can make a pancake with something like 70 calories, 10g of carb and 2g of fat, if you stick to low cal sprays instead of oil. So that's liveable.

Then I got this recipe for caramelised apple to form the pancake's guts. This is, basically, one apple (fried) with two tsps of brown sugar and some cinnamon added about halfway through. The recipe recommends 1/4 tsp of cinnamon, but I've never been one to pansy about with flavour (to my own detriment, occasionally) so I just chucked some at the apple until I felt like stopping. The result was, I promise, quite delicious. The recipe says you get 210 calories, 29g of carb and 8.5g of fat. I reckon they've based that on tiny, tiny pancakes, so it might all be a bit more than that, but that's not too bad.

I enjoyed it so much that I shoved apple and cinnamon in my porridge when the Oat So Simple ran out and I had to switch back to regular oats this morning. That was pretty good, too.

Apple and cinnamon (and sugar) is pretty much a winner.

(I went and forgot to take a photo, so the pic above comes from the recipe page)

No comments:

Post a Comment