Thursday 24 March 2011

Chinese Takeaway Smoothie (Pineapple and Ginger)


I mentioned the other day that I was off to make some smoothie. I did it. It went well. It was inspired by my mate's favourite meal from the Chinese takeaway: pineapple and ginger. I left out the chicken he normally has with it. The smoothie was like this:

Ingredients:

Half a pineapple
Fresh chopped ginger x 1tsp (crushed will do)
Apple x 1
Banana x 2
Apple Juice x 300ml(ish)
Honey x 1tbsp
Low fat natural yogurt x 3 or 4 dollops
Oats x some (optional)

Method:

BLEND.

As with the apple and cinnamon recipe, the measurements are really rough guidelines. Go easy on the ginger to start with. If you over-do it your smoothie can end up too bitter. You can always add more after the first blend. I know half a pineapple sounds expensive, but I got a massive one for £1.25 from the market, and I chopped up the rest to use for breakfast. You should get around 1,500ml of smoothie, depending on the size of your pineapple. I reckon, having got the fruit from the market and used the rest of the natural yogurt for other stuff, the whole lot probably cost about £1.30.

You might have noticed that the ingredients are nearly the same as for the apple and cinnamon. That's because banana, apple, yogurt, fruit juice and oats (if you like them) are your basic smoothie building blocks. The juice will change, depending on what you're making. Freezing some banana or buying frozen fruit from the supermarket freezer section will make your smoothie more... well, frozen. Personally, I like having something a bit icy in there but I don't think it's necessary and I'm not a big fan of blending in crushed ice.

If you've got any suggestions for awesome smoothies, hit us up in the comments or on twitter!

1 comment:

  1. Pineapple and ginger, eh? I've never heard of that - but why not? It would probably be really nice and refreshing. Plus, both pineapple and ginger are really good for your digestive system. I think I'll have to try this out soon!!

    - Steph (@Globaldish)

    ReplyDelete