Monday 14 March 2011

Man Vs Gut vs National Pie Week and Millies


So, National Pie Week came along. Unhelpfully, it came along at the same time as pancake day in a manner that's not staggeringly helpful to a man who's trying to lose weight. But, I'm from Yorkshire and I'm not likely to back down from a national pie event, am I? So I made bloody well sure that I got a good run in on Saturday morning and took on a light breakfast to ready myself. For my one trip back to the world of pie, I selected Millies. I'd been tempted by Calls Landing (where I had a very good Cowboy Stew a couple of weeks back), but as Calls Landing was serving pies from Wilsons, which is a five minute walk away from my house in Morley, I thought I ought to try something that wouldn't necessarily be on offer the rest of the year round. Plus, Millies (evilly) tweeted the picture you see above at me earlier in the week.

Millies, if you're not familiar with it, is an organic food shop on Vicar Lane with a small cafe nestled at the back. It won me over when I went in looking for a healthy snack earlier in the year and came out with some very awesome soup containing blue cheese and chickpeas. The chap who made it was even kind enough to pass on the recipe over the phone. You can't moan about that kind of service.

The seating area at the back's a little no-frills, but I think there's more seating at the front and the emphasis does seem to be more on good quality takeaway than sit-down service. Anyway, I got there and was a little bit disappointed to find there was only one slice of pie left (Kirsty, my girlfriend, was with me and also in need of grub) but it was a hefty slice so we shared it and Kirsty got some banana cake.

Because the chap who made it (Sam?) was out there was a bit of confusion about what came with the pie, so I wound up with a portion of roast veg, heated along with the pie and served up in an environment-friendly card carton. The thick shortcrust top was perhaps a little tough and I managed to break one of Millies' wooden forks on an unidentified root vegetable that was in with the roast veg, but it was all undeniably tasty. The pie filling was rich and obviously made from good quality beef, and the whole thing was about eight cuts above the sort of pie-ish fare you can expect from a lot of places in Leeds on the go (Greggs, I do love you, but I'm looking at YOU). At £3:50, it certainly kicked the arse of a Boots meal deal.

Millies didn't do loads to help me get thinner this weekend, but I'm not going to moan at them about it. I figure: if you're going to have pie, you might as well have pie made with fresh ingredients and a minimum of additives and whatnot. It might not have been the lowest-fat lunch in the world, but it was still damn good food. I also reckon that (for me, at least) full on deprivation is going to result in a tumble off the wagon, and the pie came after a run and super-healthy breakfast and was later followed by a super-lean tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment